Chapter Members in Action / Chapter Advocacy
- Angela Beauchaine
Angela sits on the Health Quality Policy Commission by appointment of the Governor. The first two projects this committee completed were Time Sensitive Emergencies and creating & funding the office of Suicide Prevention.
Their current areas of focus are on creating an accessible state wide repository for Living Wills/Posts/Health Care Power of Attorneys (short term goal) and Mental Health (long term goal) — very broad but felt to be very important. Additionally, they receive updates from the SHIP project at Medicaid, IHDE, and the State Board of Pharmacy.
- Breastfeeding: Lisa Labor, MD
- EMS Representations: Mark Urban, MD
- Newborn Hearing & Screening Advocate: Erik Meyers, MD
- Disaster Preparedness Chapter Contact: Kathy Drake, MD
- Disaster Preparedness Chapter Contact: Aaron Gardner
AAP Chapter Champion Programs
AAP Chapter Champion Programs have been very effective for disseminating best policies and practices to pediatric health care providers nationwide through the leadership and volunteer networks of chapters. Chapter champion programs are designed to serve as a mechanism to provide technical assistance, tools and resources, and more to pediatricians and other pediatric health care providers in a more direct manner via national AAP staff.
This particular project will facilitate the dissemination of best practices and advocacy related to the implementation of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) asthma guidelines within medical homes at the AAP chapter and/or state level(s).
Program goals include:
- increasing access to a medical home for all children and youth, especially those with health disparities;
- facilitating pediatric practices adoption and implementation of the NHLBI guidelines within the context of a medical home;
- and increasing advocacy efforts for implementation of asthma care within medical homes.
David Parry, MD is the Idaho Chapter Champion for NHLBI asthma guidelines within medical homes. Dr. Parry is an allergy & asthma specialist in Pocatello, Idaho. He can be reached at (208) 233-0801. Look for updates from Dr. Parry in future newsletters from Idaho Chapter AAP.
Are you interested in joining an AAP Advocacy Group?
Here are some groups that you may be interested in...
- Divison of Community Based Initiaitves (DOCBI): http://www.aap.org/commpeds/
- Council on School Health ... improving the care of school children
- Private Sector Advocacy Advisory Committee (PSAAC)
- Allergy and Immunology and the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (AAAAI)
- Pediatric Research in Office Settings (PROS) Coordinator: http://www.aap.org/pros/abtpros.htm
For More Information on joining one of the above groups please contact Sherry Iverson at email@example.com